Before coming to Japan
- Contact the International Office at the home university for information on Tohoku University partner professors.
- Contact partner professor at home university for information on applications, requirements, and deadlines.
- Apply for the Siebold Program through the partner professor at the home university.
- Home university partner professor makes selection from received applications and sends recommendation to Tohoku University.
- Siebold Program administrators examine recommendations for final approval.
- The Faculty of Arts and Letters issues acceptance package to successful applicants with visa and other instructions.
- Submit visa information forms via the Tohoku University website
- Receipt of Certificate of Eligibility (COE) needed for visa application.
- Apply for visa at a Japanese consulate or embassy in home country.
- Purchase airline tickets and travel insurance.
After arriving in Sendai
- Arrive in Sendai.
- TU representatives meet participants at Sendai Station, escort them to their housing units.
- Siebold Program orientation meeting.
- Register for classes.
- Classes begin.
- Ensure your passport is valid beyond your planned stay in Japan
- Notify your home country government of your travel plans
- Provide contact information to family/friends